The purpose of this article is to save me some time. I have realized that every time I resurrect the beloved machine of a family member, I have a go-to standard list of software which changes only slightly over time.
In the future, if a friend or family member needs a software advice, I will point them to this article. They get the correct software recommendations, and no more dodgy download pages.
I will update the list from time to time.
Feel free to browse for yourself 🙂
Software on my mom’s Windows 10 device
- TeamViewer *must have for every family member – a real live saver!
- Irfan view *for not commercial use
- otherwise windows built-in
- use the built-in Windows Defender
- otherwise nothing *everything else is worse then a virus. To long to rant…
- Recommended Browser plug-ins:
- Keepass *even my wife says it is not that bad to use one.
File Size calculator
- Filezilla *usually no family member knows what to do with this
Software on my mom’s Android device
I have picked the apps by light profile, with sane permission requests.
Also, I can recommend the F-Droid app store as an alternative to the google play store. Get it here
- Nova Launcher *playstore
- Simple Calendar *fdroid
- Signal *playstore – Free and very secure instant messenger
- Telegram *f-droid – free, secure and open source instant messenger
- Telegram *playstore
- Threema – secure instant messenger
- Threema *playstore
- Briar *f-droid– Free, open-source, secure and anonymous instant messenger. If the internet’s down, Briar can sync via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.
- Briar *playstore
Video telephony client
- Keepass 2 Android *playstore
- Bitwarden *playstore – I still recommend keepass, but this is a hassle free alternative.
- Yr *playstore
Calender and Contact sync (CalDav, CardDav)
Update: I have added an Android section to this article